Boiler room gas leak prompts evacuation of D-Y high school
SOUTH YARMOUTH — The Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School was evacuated this morning after someone inside the 210 Station Avenue school smelled natural gas that was leaking in the boiler room, school and fire officials said.
About 7:30 a.m., students and staff were told over the public address system to exit the school, said Yarmouth fire Capt. Tom Lundquist.
The evacuation came within 10 minutes of the start of class on just the second day of the school year, said Superintendent Carol Woodbury.
Woodbury said it took between 30 and 45 minutes for the “pinhole leak” to be repaired.
“Blocks are about 84 minutes, so I imagine they were still in the first period of class” when they returned to the building, Woodbury said.
“I think everybody did what they’re supposed to do,” she added.