Firefighters find steam pouring from room at elementary school
EAST AMHERST, N.Y. (WIVB) – An Amherst elementary school may not have heat Friday because of a fire scare in the boiler room.
Firefighters responded to a call of a fire at Dodge Elementary School
late Thursday night, but it turned out to be something less serious.
Getzville Fire Chief Scott Preston said someone working at the school
felt a door that was so hot, they thought there was a fire behind it.
“It turns out a contractor working here left a cap off of a steam
pipe, which basically vented and blew steam out of a room,” said
Getzville Fire Chief Scott Preston.
Preston said there was no major damage from the steam. Firefighters stayed to help clean up the mess.
He said Dodge Elementary will be opened Friday, but the students and staff may not have heat.