Allow boiler service or gas may be cut off
The Housing Executive is advising tenants to ensure they allow its contractors access to complete the annual safety check of gas boilers.
The housing body has warned that if they do not, householders are in danger of having their supply cut off.
As a landlord, the Housing Executive has a legal obligation to carry out an annual gas safety check.
However, contractors failed to gain admission to three Housing Executive properties in Larne since Setember.
The Housing Executive has stated that gas safety in the home is paramount and failure to allow this service will result in gas capping, a disconnection of the service. Tenants may also face a charge for reconnection.
The executive says that is a “last resort” but will be carried out if required.
It has been noted that gaining admittance has proved a real problem with almost 400 ‘no access’ cases across Northern Ireland,
The Housing Executive says that it aims to be as flexible as possible. Households will initially receive a letter informing them of a date for the service check, which they can change if it is unsuitable.
If there is no response, the tenant will be issued with a ‘no access’ card, which informs them of the need to make contact with the contractor and warns that the gas supply will be cut off if they do not comply.This will be followed up with a hand-delivered letter, again requesting contact is made within seven days.
If, at that stage, there is still no response the supply will be disconnected until the required safety checks are carried out.
Tenants will be issued with a notice informing them that they must make contact with the Housing Executive in order to get the supply reconnected.
Mairead Myles Davey, the Housing Executive’s area manager, said: “Gas safety in the home is paramount and I urge any tenant who has not had their gas boiler checked to work with our contractors to ensure this safety check is carried out.
“We appreciate that the Christmas and New Year period is hectic but we do not want tenants to run the risk of having no heat or means of cooking if they have not contacted us. If a gas leak is left unchecked, you are placing not only yourself at risk but also the safety of others in neighbouring properties.”
Read More: Gas Boiler