Builder charged with gas safe failings
A construction business owner has been fined
£1,000 and ordered to pay costs of £845 after her company breached gas
The case was brought after a plumber was called to work at a
premises in Tunbridge Wells where JBZ Builders had moved a flue for a
gas boiler while making alterations to the property.
noticed the work was sub standard and, after alerting the Gas Safe
Register, it was discovered that neither the owner of JBZ Builders or
her son, who carried out the work, were registered.
gas engineer was called and classified several parts of the system as
‘at risk’ or not up to the correct standards, which placed the family
living at the property at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Health and Safety Executive was also alerted, resulting in the case
being heard at Sevenoaks’ Magistrates Court on 9 September.
Zielinski, trading as JBZ Builders, of Bookham near Leatherhead in
Surrey, was charged with a breach of Gas Safety Regulations, following
the HSE investigation.
HSE Inspector Rob Hassell said: “This
incident was entirely preventable and put a young family, including a
new-born child, in unnecessary danger from exposure to carbon monoxide
and other harmful by-products.
“Usually JBZ Builders use Gas Safe
registered engineers for such work but on this occasion, and for the
purpose of speed, Mrs Zielinski wrongly used an employee without the
“Work to a gas flue does constitute gas
work, a fact that can be misunderstood in the construction industry.
Such work should only be carried out by suitably qualified Gas Safe